Things I've done - a mini-CV
Professor Alan Dix
- Director of the Computational Foundry,
- College of Science, Swansea University, Swansea, Wales, UK
- also Freelance writer, researcher and educator
- university/academic: firstname.lastname@example.org
- url: https://alandix.com/
- external: Google Scholar | Orcid Id: 0000-0002-5242-7693
Listed below are some of the places I've been and things I've done during
my professional life. See also my home page for current
activities, my research topics page, and the books
and publications section of my home page
for things I've written.
Alan's home page
* Not really at the same time! I completed the Mathematical Tripos in two years, but Cambridge requires 3 years residency as well as the exams, so in my 'spare' third year I did the post-graduate Diploma in Mathematical Statistics at the Stats. Lab.
Honours, prizes, scholarships etc.
|| Member of British Team to the 20th International
Mathematical Olympiad in Bucharest, Rumania, at which I was awarded
a second prize, a special prize, gave one of the closing speeches before
the Rumanian Minister of Education, and appeared on Rumanian television!
You can read my personal
recollections of this event.|
Open Entrance Scholarship to Trinity College, Cambridge
Various Tripos and Osborn prizes for examination results
Rouse Ball Essay Prize for an essay on Banach Lattices
Further Open Scholarship
Alan's home page
- Feb. 2012 - 2018 Professor
- Professor (P/T, 20%), School of Computer Science, The University of Birmingham, Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK
- Sept. 2010 - June 2017 Senior Researcher, (P/T 50%)
- Talis, Birmingham, UK
- Jan. 2000 - Jan 2012 Professor
- Computing Department, Lancaster University, Lancaster, LA1 4YR, UK
- 2003 - 2012 Director, LUBEL
- (Lancaster University Business Enterprises Ltd)
- Aug. 2000 - 2004 CEO, limited
- vfridge, Birmingham, UK
- Oct. 1998 - 2003 Technical Director
- aQtive limited ,Birmingham, UK
- March 1999 - 2000. Professor of Computing (part-time)
- School of Computing, Staffordshire
- Oct. 1996 - Jan 1999. Associate Dean
- School of Computing, Staffordshire
- May 1994 - Oct. 1996. Reader in Software Technology
- and Director of the HCI Research Centre,
- School of Computing and Mathematics, University of Huddersfield
Nov. 1989 - April 1994. SERC Advanced Research Fellow
- HCI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of York
Nov. 1987 - Oct. 1989. SERC Post-Doctoral Research Fellow
- HCI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of York
Nov. 1984 - Oct. 1987. Research Associate
- HCI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of York
Jan. 1984 - Oct. 1984. Programmer
- County Treasurers Dept., Cumbria County Council, Carlisle
Sept. 1981 - Oct. 1983. Scientific Officer
- Spray Physics Group, National Institute of Agricultural Engineering, Silsoe
- (now known as Silsoe Research Institute)
Alan's home page
Funded projects and fellowships
- SERC Postdoctoral Fellowship (1987-89)
- SERC Advanced Fellowship (1989-94)
- "Investigating mode and concurrency in the context of a generalised mail
system" (co-investigator, SERC, 1990-1993)
- "Scaffold" (co-investigator, SERC, 1990-1993)
- "Models for single-user and group interaction (sole-investigator, SERC/EPSRC,
- "Version management and access control models for cooperative systems"
(co-investigator in collaboration with Lancaster University, SERC, 1993-1997)
- "Modelling Behaviour of Agents in CSCW", Joint HK/UK Research Scheme project
9050101 (collaborative project with City University of Hong Kong)
- "Interfaces and infrastructure for mobile multimedia
applications", Joint Project under EPSRC MNA
programme GR/L64140 (A Dix (PI)) and GR/L64157 (Nigel Davies (PI), Tom Rodden,
Adrian Friday, Keith Chevrest), completed October 1991.
(co-investigator with Kecheng Liu (PI), Albert Alderson, Hanifa Shah, Bernadette
Sharpe, EPSRC SEBPC
- "TRACKER: Reducing Rework through Decision Management", with Ian Sommerville (PI) , John Hughes, EPSRC GR/R12183, £457,483, completed 2004
- "CASCO: Investigating Context Aware Support for Co-operative Applications in Ubiquitous Computing Environments", with Keith Chevrest (PI) , EPSRC GR/R54200, £66,000, completed December 2004
- "IDEAL: Designing the "Ideal" System: systemised corpuses of knowledge in 'information giving service' settings", with Mark Rouncefield, Karen Clarke, John Mariani, Jen Allanson. EPSRC GR/R86676, £102,491, completed June 2005
(management committee) Culture and Creativity programme network, started October 2004
also leading the SlowTime art project
- CASIDE: "Investigating Cooperative Applications in Situated Display Environment"
with Keith Chevrest (PI), Mark Rouncefield, EPSRC EP/C005589/1, £360,509, started April 2005
- TIM - Task-centered Information Managment - sub-project of the DELOS:
EU Network of Excellence, joined July 2005
- part of Lancaster teams on EQUATOR and DIRC Interdisciplinary Research Collaborations
- member of Non-Place AHRB EPSRC Research Cluster, Memories for Life EPSRC Network,
Branded Meeting Places Network (lead Edinburgh)
- Nokia University Research Donation 2006–2011.
- DEPtH - Designing for Physicality, AHRB/EPSRC
Designing the 21st Century Pogramme
- VISMASTER EU Coordinated Action on Visual Analytics. 2008-2010
- Interact6 Programme Network: Interactive Technologies for the End-user: Fulfilling the vision of a Digital Economy. (lead Bristol) 2008-2010
- EU DESIRE Marie Curie Training Network. (Co-I, with Corina Sas PI and lead), 2008–2012
- Tiree Mobile Heritage (Frasan), Scottish Digital R&D Fund for Arts and Culture, Nesta / Creative Scotland/ AHRC.2012-2013
- Alan Walks Wales. Support from Partnership Progamme, dot.rural Digital Economy Centre, Aberdeen University. 2013
- OnSupply, sub-project of EPSRC Catalyst. 2013–2014
- In Concert: Towards a Collaborative Digital Archive of Musical Ephemera, sub-project of AHRC Transforming Musicology. 2014–2015
- CDT in Enhancing Human Interactions and Collaborations with Data and Intelligence Driven Systems, EPSRC EP/S021892/1, £5M (CoI, Matt Jones Swansea PI)
- Not-Equal Network+, EPSRC, £1M (CoI, lead Newcastle)
Alan's home page
- Internal PhD examiner: University of
York (1993); Staffordshire University (1999), Lancaster University (2003x3,2004,2005,2007x3); University of Birmingham (2016, 2018), Swansea University(2020).
- External PhD examiner UK: University
of Stirling (1992,1994,1998); University
of Dundee (1997, 2003); Queen Mary
and Westfield College, University of London (1995); University
of York (1997,2000,2003); Middlesex
University (1997); University of Birmingham
(1997); Lancaster University (1998,1999,2016);
Liverpool John-Moores University
(2000,2003,2007); Sussex University (2001);
Glasgow University (2001); University
of Hertfordshire (2001);University
of Nottingham (2002, 2004, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019); University of Sunderland (2002); Leeds Metropolitan
University (2003,2006); Staffordshire University (2004,2008); Imperial College, University of London (2004);
Cardiff University (2004); Bath University (2004);University College London (2006x3,2017,2021,2022); Reading University (2006); Southampton University (2006, 2010, 2011); Huddersfield University (2007); Manchester University (2010); Edinburgh University (2013); Edinburgh Napier (2015, 2021), University of Aberdeen (2015), Newcastle Universty (2017), University of Surrey (2020).
- External PhD examiner overseas: Helsinki University
of Technology, Finland (1994); Tampere
University of Technology, Finland (1995); University of Twente, Netherlands (2003, 2011, 2011); University of
Rome, La Sapienza, Italy (2003); University of Tampere, Finland (2005); Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam (2006); University of Canterbury, New Zealand (2006); Instituto Superior Técnico, Lisbon (2007); Eindhoven University of Technology, Netherlands (2008, 2010, 2016); University College Dublin, Ireland (2009); Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität (thesis), München, Germany (2010); University of Fribourg, Switzerland (2011); National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland (2011); University of Milan (2011); Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, India (2012); Universiti Tekoologi MARA, Malaysia (2012); Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland (2013,2016), Johannes Keplar University Linz, Austria (2019), University of Limerick, Ireland (2020), Lappeenranta-Lahti University of Technology LUT, Finland (2020), Université Paris-Saclay (2021), Kathmandu University, Nepal (2021), Universidad Rey Juan Carlos, Madrid, Spain (2022), University of L'Aquila, Italy (2022), University of Zurich, Switzerland (2022)
- External MSc thesis examiner: University
of South Africa (1994), Reading University (2004)
- External MSc course examiner: MSc
in Interactive Computing System Design, Loughborough
University of Technology (1995-1998)
- External MSc course validation and examiner: MSc
Multimedia, CGCHE (1997-2001)
- Chief external examiner: Postgraduate Modular Scheme, CGCHE now University
of Gloucestershire (1997-2001)
- External MSc course examiner: MSc Multimedia Computing, University of Central Lancashire (2000-2003)
- External MSc course examiner: MSc Information Processing, University of York (2005-2008)
- External MSc course examiner: Masters in Interactive Media Course, University of Limerick (2008-2012)
- Keynote: Fifth European Tangible Interaction Studio, ENAC, Toulouse. Nov. 7-10 2022.
- Keynote: International Conference on Computer-Human Interaction Research and Applications (CHIRA), Malta, 27-28 Oct 2022.
- Keynote: ECCE 2022, European Conference on Cognitive Ergonomics, Kaiserslautern, Germany. 7th Oct 2022.
- Keynote: Follow your nose: history frames the future, AVI 2022: Advanced Visual Interfaces, Rome, Italy, 8th June 2022.
- Invited Talk: Democratising Digitisation:
Tools to Support Small Community Archives, AVI2CH 2022: Workshop on Advanced Visual Interfaces and Interactions in Cultural Heritage, Rome, Italy, 6th June 2022.
- Online Seminar: What Next for UX Tools: from screens to smells, from sketch to code, supporting design for rich interactions, HCI and UX Online Seminars organised by Interacting with Computers and British Computer Society Interaction Specialist Group, 23rd May 2022.
- Invited Talk: Digital Media and the Wales Coastal Path experience, Rich History Group Neath-Port Talbot, 11th May 2022.
- Invited Talk: AI and Social Justice: From Avoiding Harms to Positive Action, speaking with Clara Crivellaro at The AI Summit New York, 8th Dec. 2021.
- Keynote: Digital Thinking: seeing the world with digital eyes, CHI Greece 2021, 26th Nov. 2021.
- Invited Talk: Designing User Interactions with AI: Servant, Master or Symbiosis, The AI Summit London, 22nd Sept. 2021.
- Keynote: Acting out of the Box, Rhaglen Ysgol Haf 2021 PCYDDS / UWTSD Postgraduate Summer School 2021, 10th Sept. 2021.
- Keynote: QualitativeQuantitative Reasoning: thinking informally about formal things, 18th International Colloquium on Theoretical Aspects of Computing, Nazarbayev University, Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan, 10th Sept. 2021.
Conversations on Digital Rights # 3. Coppieters Foundation, June-July 2021
- Invited Talk: Deep Digitality reimagining the world with fresh eyes beyond Covid, Festival of Ideas, Swansea, 28th April 2021.
- Invited Lecture: Statistics for HCI, SPP Winter School 2021 9th March 2021.
- Invited Talk: Breaking the Rules? Distinguished Lecture Series, UTM Engineering, Malaysia, 2nd December 2020
- Course: Understanding Statistics.Tutorial at ACM MobileHCI2020.
- Invited Talk:Data Matters: Empowerment or Control? Inaugural session of the HCI Conversations Webinar Series, FSKM UiTM, 11th August 2020
- Invited Talk: Deep Digitality and Digital Thinking, UX Indonesia Meetup, 8th May 2020.
- Keynote: Cognition-as-Material: personality prostheses and other stories, ECCE 2019 - European Conference on Cognitive Ergonomics, Belfast, UK, 10-13th Sept 2019
- Invited talk: Deep Digitality, Orkney Science Festival, 11th Sept 2019
- Invited talks: Validation and mechanism: exploring the limits of evaluation and Sources of Bias and Explanation, SummerPIT 2019, Aarhus University, 14th Aug 2019 K
- Keynote: Computing on the Edge – Pervasive Displays for a Small Island. ACM International Symposium on Pervasive Displays (PerDis 2019), Palermo, Italy, 12-14 June 2019.
- Panel: Bridging broadening theory and practical application – the three Ds: deploy, detail dept, Global Perspectives on HCI Education, EduCHI 2019, Symposium at CHI 2019, Glasgow, 4th May 2019.
- TEDx talk: Personality Prosthesis, TEDX NeathPortTalbot, Year Zero, 24th Nov 2018
- Keynote: Deep Digitality, iHCI2018, the Irish HCI Conference, Limerick, 2nd Nov 2018
- Keynote: Space, time and memory: tales from a long road, ICSC 2018, Rome, 10-14 Sept 2018
- Keynote: at Using Video in CS Education, St Andrews, 7th August 2018
- Keynote: Sufficient Reason, Keynote at Workshop on HCD for Intelligent Environments, BHCI, Belfast, 3rd July 2018
- Invited Workshop Tutor: Designing For The Margins (Extra-Urban Interactions), UBISS 2018 Summer School, Oulu, Finland, 4-9 June 2018
- Invited Talk: Future of HCI, Erasmus+ SE Training School, Preston, UK, 28th Feb 2018
- Keynote: Communicating in Wales: design and architecture for mobile applications over poor connectivity, ITA17, Wrexham, North Wales, 13th Sept 2017
- Panel: Doing metrics responsibly, ARMA Conference, Liverpool, 7th Jun 2017
- Course: Making Sense of Statistics in HCI: From P to Bayes and Beyond, CHI2017, Denver, 10th May 2017
- Invited Talk: a bit about MOOCs: past, present and future, UX Academia Industry, Media City, Manchester, UK, 8th March 2017
- Invited Talk: Getting Nowhere Slowly: Learning from a Thousand Miles at Walking Pace, Technology on the Trail, Virginia Tech., USA, 2nd March 2017 (see my blog)
- Keynote: Open Data Islands and Communities, SICSA HCI All Hands Meeting 2016, St Andrews, Scotland, 29th Nov 2016.
- Keynote: Open Data Islands and Communities, EPCGI'2016, Covilhã, Portugal, 25th Nov 2016
- Guest lecture: the Internet of Things and Internet of Places,Cardiff School of Art and Design, 16th Nov 2016
- Keynote: The Leaves are Golden - putting the periphery at the centre of information design, HCI2016, Bournemouth, 13th July 2016
- Invited Talk: Evaluating REF, Bibliometrics in Practice, Manchester, 27th June 2016
- Guest lecture: Journeys in Human-Computer Interaction, University of Southampton, 16th Feb 2016
- Evening talk: On the Edge, HighWire, Lancaster, 4th Feb 2016
- Workshop: Margins and Migrants, HighWire, Lancaster, 4th Feb 2016
- Invited Talk: Data Matters, Bournemouth University, 16th Sept 2015
- Panel member: HCI and the REF, HCI 2015, Lincoln, 15th July 2015
- Invited Talk: Tales of Regret and Identity, Talk at Open University, 28th April 2015
- Invited Talk: Five shades of flipping, Talk at Insight 2015, NCC, Birmingham, April 2015
- Talk: Rich analytics for the "flipped classroom", E-Learning Practitioner's Forum, University of Birmingham, 8th Jan 2015
- Long-Term Engagement. Keynote at Usability And Accessibility Days 2014 - Engagement, Athens, 10th Dec. 2014.
- Invited Talk: The big story of small data, Open University, 11th November 2014.
Alan Walks Wales: Sensing the Miles. Video Presentation, 'Enhancing Self-Reflection with Wearable Sensors', workshop at mobileHCI 2014 Toronto, 23rd September 2014.
- KeynoteAt the Edge, at Tag der Informatik, Aachen, Germany, 6th December 2013.
- User interface trends. Invited Talk, Symposium on Natural User Interfaces, Augmented Reality and Beyond: Challenges at the Intersection of HCI and Computer Vision - 18-21 November 2013.
- KeynoteThe Walk: exploring the technical and social margins, APCHI at 2013 / India HCI 2013, Bangalore India, 27th September 2013.
- Invited Lecture "Introduction to Information Visualisation" at PROMISE Winter School 2012, Information Retrieval meets Information Visualization. Zinal, Switzerland, 23-27 Jan 2012.
- Keynote: Designing for Physicality, at SICSA MMI Workshop for Early Career Researchers in Multimodal Interaction, 15 Dec 2011.
- Workshop: Designing Effective User Interfaces, FTSM, UKM, Bangi, Malaysia, 5-6 Dec 2011.
- Keynote: The Personal Information Environment beyond the Personal Computer at iUser 2011, 29 Nov - 2 Dec 2011.
- Keynote: Living in a World of Data, ASSETS 2011, Dundee, Scotland, 24-26 October 2011.
- Invited Talk: Dynamics of internal cognition and the web as external representation, CHI Belgium, Antwerp, 21 September 2011.
- Invited Talk: Extended Episodic Experience at Inaugural Symposium for prof.dr. Panos Markopoulos, TU/e Eindhoven, 16 September 2011.
- Keynote: Physical Creatures in a Digital World, ECCE 2011, Rostock, Germany, 24-26 August 2011.
- Keynote: Understanding Creativity: from bad ideas to personality prosthesis, Lancaster, 13-14 July 2011.
- Keynote: web of data, web of people, web of action, i-USEr 2010, Shah Alam, Malaysia, 13th Dec. 2010.
- Touching Technology: taking the physical world seriously in digital design, Greek SIGCHI Workshop "Human-Computer Interaction: Theory and Practice of design of usable and accessible technologies", Athens, 5th March 2009.
- Touching Technology talk at Winter School for Interactive Technologies for the End-User (EPSRC funded UK-India Network), Bangalore, 2-5 Feb 2009.Invited Tutorials: Winter school on Usability Engineering, Anzere, Switzerland, 26-30 Jan 2009.
- SIGCHI Ireland Inaugural Lecture: Human–Computer Interaction in the early 21st century: a stable discipline, a nascent science, and the growth of the long tail, Dublin, 2nd Dec. 2008.
- distinguished lecture series: Human–Computer Interaction: as it was, as it is, and as it may be, St Andrews, Scotland, 6th Nov. 2008.
- Using the Web of Data at WOD-PD 2008, Web of Data Practitioners Days, Vienna, Austria, 22-23 Oct. 2008.
- invited tutorial: Interaction with and through the mobile at MobiKUI 2008 - First International Workshop on Mobile and Kinetic User Interfaces, Fribourg, Switzerland, 13-14 Oct. 2008 .
- Tasks = data + action + context: automated task assistance through data-oriented analysis, at Engineering Interactive Systems 2008, Pisa, Italy, 25-26 Sept. 2008.
- As We May Code - The art (and craft) of computer programming in the 21st century. keynote at PPIG08 - The 20th Annual Psychology of Programming Interest Group Conference. Lancaster University, UK. 10-12 September 2008
- masterclass: From Formalism to Physicality part of UPC North: Understanding People and Computers, UCLanc, Preston, 30th April 2008.
invited talk: Designing for adoption and designing for appropriation, University of Technology of Berlin, 12th Feb 2008 .
- panel keynote at Social Technologies Summit part of FutureSonic2007, Manchester, May 2007.
- the brain and the web - intelligent interactions from the desktop to the world. keynote at Simpósio de Fatores Humanos em Sistemas Computacionais (IHC 2006), Natal Brazil, 19-22 Nov. 2006
- insider/outsider orientation of place and signage and systolic flows, at Design and Non-Place Workshop, Edinburgh University, 29-30 June 2005.
- incidental interaction, at 1st workshop on 'New Paradigms in Interaction Design'. FTW, Vienna, 10th June 2005. Followed by interview and article in der Standard.
- Understanding Statistics, invited tutorial at Designing for Usability in eScience, National E-Science Centre, 8th June 2005.
- Experimentation, validation and evaluation,
at Third UK-UbiNet Workshop Workshop on
Designing, evaluating and using ubiquitous computing systems, at University of Bath, Bath, 9-11 February 2005.
- Paths and
Patches - patterns of geognosy and gnosis,
at Second Workshop on
Spaces, Spatiality and Technology
Napier University, Edinburgh, 13-14 December 2004.
rationality and imagination
at Interacción 2004, Lleida,
España, 5-7th May 2004.
HCI Theory - a uniquely disparate perspective
Invited talk at European
HCI Research special area CHI 2004, Vienna, Austria, 24-29 April 2004
- Controversy and
at 7th HCI Educators?
Workshop, Preston, UK, 1-2 April 2004
- Getting physical,
at OZCHI 2003, Brisbane,
Australia, 26-28 Nov 2003
- Deconstructing the experience of (e)learning
for delivery ecologies
at The e-Learning Experience. Birmingham Institute of Art and Design, 15th
- Being Playful
learning from children,
at Interaction Design and Children 2003,
Preston, UK, 1-3 July 2003
- Managing the
Ecology of Interaction.
in Tamodia 2002
(First International Workshop on Task Models and User Interface Design), Bucharest,
Romania, 18-19 July 2002.
- Innovation in IT. Excellence in Education
and Training convention 2002, Singapore, 17 May 2002
- Panelist in workshop on Homopolybots:
Building Modular Humans. part of performance artist Stelarc's visit
to Lancaster, 8-10th May 2002
and the Real World.
at SAICSIT'2001 - South
African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists Annual
Conference. Pretoria, 25-28 September 2001.
- In a Strange Land:
modelling and understanding cyberspace.
OCG Branch Office Graz inauguration symposium
Interaction in the 21st Century". Graz, Austria, 13th January 2001
- Welsh Mathematician
walks in Cyberspace (the cartography of cyberspace).
Collaborative Virtual Environments - CVE2000.
San Francisco, 10th-12th September 2000.
Crazy, Lazy Days are Over -time for designers to think,
Information for Mobile and Broadband Network Users, London, 15th December
- Design of User
Interfaces for the Web,
User Interfaces to Data Intensive Systems UIDIS'99,
Edinburgh 5th - 6th September 1999
a UI Perspective,
part of invited panel on data models for annotations at COOPIS'99, 1999
- part of the panel "Famous
HCI Educators Tell All" (!) at CHI98,
Los Angeles, 1998
- Closing the Loop:
modelling action, perception and information,
Advanced Visual Interfaces conference - AVI'96,
Gubbio, Italy, 1996.
and Perspectives for Cooperative Work on the Web,
ERCIM workshop on "CSCW and the Web,
GMD, Bonn, 1996
Programs to People,
BCS FACS 1995 Christmas Workshop
- co-organiser: HCI-E2: Workshop on HCI Engineering Education for developers, designers and more, INTERACT 2021, Bari, Italy, August 31st, 2021
- co-organiser: AVI2CH 2020, Advanced Visual Interfaces and Interactions in Cultural Heritage, Workshop at AVI 2020, Island of Ischia, Italy, 29th Sept. 2020.
- chair: BCS Human-Computer Interaction Doctoral Consortium, Keele University (virtual), UK. 6th July 2021
- co-organiser: Video for HCI Education, virtual workshop 16th and 23rd April 2020
- programme chair: RoCHI 2019, Bucharedst Romania
- co-organiser The Design of Future Music Technologies: ‘Sounding Out’ AI, Immersive Experiences & Brain Controlled Interfaces, workshop at Audio Mostly 2018, Wrexham, 14th Sept 2018
- co-organiser bi-annual Tiree Tech Wave, March 2011–Oct 2017
- co-chair Doctoral Consortium, HCI 2016, Bournemouth, 11th July 2016
- co-organiser HCI and the Educational Technology Revolution (HCIed2016). AVI2016 Bari, Italy. 7th June 2016
- co-organiser Workshop on Formal Methods in Human Computer Interaction (FoMHCI). ACM EICS, Duisburg, Germany on 23rd June 2015
- co-organiser Visions and visioning in CHI SIG at CHI 2013, Paris, UK, May 2013
- co-chair Physicality 2012 HCI 2012,
Birmingham, UK, 11th September 2012
- co-chair Alt-HCI HCI 2012,
Birmingham, UK, 12th-14th September 2012
- co-organiser Interaction Beyond the Desktop Schloss Dagstuhl, Germany, 26-31 August 2012
- co-chair Doctoral Consortium EICS, Copenhagen, Denmark, June 25–28, 2012
- co-chair PPD'12, Workshop on Infrastructure and Design Challenges of Coupled Display Visual Interfaces AVI'12,
Capri, Italy, 25 May 2012
- co-chair PPD'10, Workshop on Coupled Display Visual Interfaces AVI'12, Capri, Italy, 25 May 2012
- 2nd DESIRE Conference on Creativity and Innovation in Design Eindhoven University of Technology, The Neterlands, 19–21 October 2011
- International Summer School "Models of Creative Design" For innovation in science and technology Aveiro University Portugal, 19–25 September 2010
- 1st DESIRE Conference on Creativity and Innovation in Design Aarhus University, Denmark. 16-17 August 2010
- co-organiser Semantic Models for Adaptive Interactive Systems (SEMAIS). workshop at ACM IUI 2010, Hong Kong, China. 7th February 2010
- SAICSIT 2009, South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists, 13-14 Oct. 2009
- VAST09, IEEE Symposium on Visual Analytics Science and Technology, Atlantic City, USA, 11-16 Oct. 2009.
- associate programme chair, UIST'09, ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, Victoria, Canada, 4-7 Oct. 2009.
- First International Summer School
"Theories of Creative Design" for innovation in science and technology Palazzo Feltrinelli - Università degli Studi di Milano
Gargnano del Garda (BS), Italy - September 20-26, 2009
- panels co-chair, HCI 2009, Cambridge, UK, 2-5 Sept. 2009
- co-organiser Physicality2009, Cambridge, UK, 1 Sept. 2009
- co-organiser Human Aspects of Visualization, workshop at Interact 2009, Uppsala, Sweden, 24 Aug.2009
- EICS 2009, ACM SIGCHI Symposium on Engineering Interactive Computing Systems, Pittsburgh, USA, 15-17 July 2009
- ICISO 2009, 11th International Conference on Informatics and Semiotics in Organisations, IFIP WG8.1 Working Conference, Beijing, China, 11-12 April, 2009
- co-organiser, Designing for Reflection on Experience, workshop at CHI 2009, Boston, USA, 4 April 2009
- VISSW 2009, Visual Interfaces to the Social and the Semantic Web, in conjunction with IUI 2009, Sanibel Island, Florida, 8 Feb 2009
- IHC'08, Brazilian Symposium in Human Factors and Computing Systems, Porto Alegre, Brazil, 22-24 Oct. 2008
- associate programme chair, UIST'08, ACM Symposium on User Interface Software and Technology, Monterey, USA, 19-22 Oct. 2008.
- VAST08, IEEE Symposium on Visual Analytics Science and Technology, Columbus, USA, 19-24 Oct. 2008.
- SAICSIT 2008, South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists, 6-8 Oct. 2008
- TAMODIA'2008, (track of Engineering Interactive Systems 2008), Pisa, Italy, 25-26 Sept. 2008
- DSV-IS 2008, Design, Specification and Verification of Interactive Systems, Kingston, Canada,16-18 July 2008
- AVI 2008, Advanced Visual Interfaces, Napoli, Italy 28-30 May 2008
- ISCRAM2008, International Conference on Information Systems for Crisis Response and Management, Washington, USA, 5-7 May 2008
- BELIV'08, BEyond time and errors: novel evaLuation methods for Information Visualization, workshop at CHI'08, Florence, Italy, 5 April 2008
- co-organiser Designing and Evaluating Mobile Phone-Based Interaction with Public Displays, workshop at CHI'08, Florence, Italy, 5 April 2008
- HCIEd 2008, HCI Educators (IFIP WG 13.1 on Education in HCI and the HCI Curriculum and the BCS HCI Group), Rome, Italy, 2-4 April 2008
- USAB 07, Usability & HCI for Medicine and Health Care, Graz, Austria, 22 Nov. 2007
- TAMODIA'2007, TAsk MOdels and DIAgrams, Toulouse, France, 8-9 Nov. 2007
- SAICSIT 2007, South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information Technologists, 30 Sept - 3 Oct 2007
- Mobile HCI 2007, Singapore, 9-12 Sept. 2007
- FMIS 2007, 2nd International Workshop on Formal Methods for Interactive Systems, 4 Sept. 2007
- co-organiser Physicality2007, Lancaster, UK, 2-3 Sept. 2007
- Programme co-chair, HCI Educators 2007, Aveiro, Portugal, 29-30 March,
- EIS2007, Engineering Interactive Systems 2007 (incorporating DSV-IS, HCSE, EHCI), Salamanca, Spain, 22-2 March 2007
- TEI07, Tangible and Embedded Interaction'07, Baton Rouge, USA, 15-17 Feb. 2007
- TAMODIA 2006, Hasselt, Belgium, 23-24 October 2006.
- MobileHCI 2006, Espoo, Finland, 12-15 September 2006.
- DSVIS 2006, Dublin, Ireland, 26-28 July 2006.
- programme co-chair FNG2006 - 1st World Conference on Fun 'n Games, Preston, UK, 26-28 June 2006.
- AVI 2006, Venezia, Italy, 23-26 May 2006.
- associate chair CHI2006, Montreal, Canada, 22-27 April 2006.
- co-chair Designing for Collective Remembering, workshop at CHI2006 (above).
- co-chair Misuse and Abuse of Interactive Technologies, workshop at CHI2006 (above).
- Investigating new user experience challenges in iTV: mobility & sociability, workshop at CHI2006 (above).
- co-organiser Physicality2006, Lancaster, UK, 6-7 February 2006.
- programme co-chair TAMODIA 2005 - 4th International Conference on TAsk MODels and DIAgrams, Gdansk , Poland, 26-27 September 2005
- co-chair eLearning and Human-Computer Interaction: Exploring Design Synergies for more Effective Learning Experiences - Interact 2005 workshop, Rome, Italy, 13 September 2005
- ABUSE the dark side of HCI - Interact 2005 workshop, Rome, Italy, 12 September 2005
- INTERACT 2005 - Tenth IFIP TC13 International Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Rome, Italy, 12-16 September 2005
- MobileHCI05 - Sixth International
Conference on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services, Salzburg , Austria,
9-13 September 2005
- DSVIS'05 - The 12th International Workshop on Design, Specification and Verification
of Interactive Systems, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK, 13-15 July 2005
- SAICSIT 2004 - Annual
Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information
Technologists, Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa, 4-6 October 2004
- co-chair, Doctoral Consortium. HCI'2004
- British HCI Conference, Leeds, UK, 6-10 September 2004
- MobileHCI04 - Sixth International
Conference on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices and Services, Glasgow, Scotland,
13-16 September 2004
- EHCI-DSVIS'04 - The 9th
IFIP Working Conference on Engineering for Human-Computer Interaction Jointly
with The 11th International Workshop on Design, Specification and Verification
of Interactive Systems, Tremsbüttel Castle, Hamburg, Germany, 11-13 July
- TIDSE 2004 - 2nd International
Conference on Technologies for Interactive Digital Storytelling and Entertainment.
Darmstadt, Germany, 24-26 June 2004
- AVI2004 - Advanced Visual
Interfaces, Gallipoli (Lecce), Italy, 25-28 May 2004
- co-organiser. CHI 2004 workshop: Time
Design. CHI 2004, Vienna, Austria. 25 April 2004.
- SAICSIT 2003 - Annual
Conference of the South African Institute of Computer Scientists and Information
Technologists, Gauteng, South Africa, 17-19 September 2003
- UbiComp2003 TechNote Committee - The
Fifth International Conference on Ubiquitous Computing, Seattle, Washington,
USA, 12-15 October 2003
- MobileHCI03 - Fifth International
Symposium on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices, Udine, Italy,
8-11 September 2003
- IDC 2003 - Interaction Design and
Children, Preston, UK, 1-3 July 2003
- MobileHCI02 - Fourth
International Symposium on Human Computer Interaction with Mobile Devices,
Pisa, Italy, 18-20 September 2002
- SAICSIT 2002 - Enablement
through Technology - Annual Conference of the South African Institute of Computer
Scientists and Information Technologists, Port Elizabeth, South Africa, 16-18
- CHI NZ 2002 - 3rd ACM
SIGCHI-NZ Symposium On Computer-Human Interaction, University of Waikato,
Hamilton, New Zealand, July 2002
- DSVIS 2002
- 9th International Workshop on Design, Specification and Verification
of Interactive Systems, Rostock, Germany, 12-14 June 2002
- AVI2002 - Advanced Visual
Interfaces, Trento, Italy, 22-24 May 2002
- Programme Committee UIDIS01 -
User Interfaces for Data Intensive Systems, Zurich, June 2001
- Programme Committee EHCI01
- Engineering the Human Computer Interface, Toronto, May 2001
- Programme Committee Awareness
and the WWW (CSCW 2000 Workshop),Philadelphia, Dec. 2000
- Programme Committee AVI2000,
Advanced Visual Interfaces, Palermo, Italy, May 2000.
- Programme Committee CRIWG'2000
- International Workshop on Groupware, Madeira, Portugal, October 2000
- Programme Committee DSV-IS
2000 - 7th International Workshop on Design, Specification and Verification
of Interactive Systems, Limereick, Ireland, June 2000
- Programme Committee IDA2000,
International Workshop on Interacting with Databases, Greenwich, September
- International Programme Committee INTERACT'99,
Edinburgh, September 1999.
- Programme Committee Changing
Places Workshop, Queen Mary & Westfield College, London, April 1999.
- co-Organiser British HCI Group Day Conference on The
Active Web, Stafford, January 1999.
- Programme Committee FAHCI98 -
BCS FACS meeting on Formal Aspects of Human-Computer Interaction, Sheffield,
- Programme Committee EHCI'98,
Crete, August 1998.
- Papers Review Committee DSVIS'98,
Abingdon, UK, June 1998.
- Editorial Board, Workshop on "The
Use of Herbert H. Clark's Models of Language Use for the Design of Cooperative
Cannes, France, May 1998.
- Programme Committee AVI'98,
Aquila, Italy, May 1998.
- Programme Committee ECSCW'97,
Lancaster, September 1997.
- Short Papers Chair HCI'97,
Bristol, August 1997.
- International Programme Committee INTERACT'97,
- co-Organiser "Time
and the Web" workshop, Stafford, June 1997.
- Programme Committee DSVIS'97
- the 4th Eurographics Workshop on the Design, Specification and Verification
of Interactive Systems, Spain, June 1997.
- co-Chair CHI'96 Basic
Research Symposium, Vancouver, April 1996.
- Programme Committee FACHI - BCS
FACS meeting on Formal Aspects of Human-Computer Interaction, Sheffield, September
- Programme Committee DSV-IS'96,
Belgium, June 1996.
- International Programme Committee CHI'96,
Vancouver, April 1996.
- Conference Chair and Programme Committee HCI'95, Huddersfield, August 1995.
- Programme Committee EHCI'95
- IFIP Working Conference on Engineering the Human-Computer Interface, Targhee,
USA, August 1995.
- Programme Committee DSV-IS'95,
Toulouse, June 1995.
- Associate Programme Chair for CHI'95,
Boulder, May 1995.
- Organising Committee, CHI'95 Basic Research Symposium.
- co-Organiser Workshop on Software Architectures for CSCW, at CSCW'94, September
- HCI Group representative on HCI'94 Committee, Glasgow, August 1994.
- Programme Committee, IDS'94 - the Second International Workshop on User
Interfaces to Databases, Ambleside, July, 1994.
- Organising Committee, CHI'94 Basic Research Symp., Boston, USA, May 1994.
- co-Organiser, Workshop on Pattern Recognition and HCI at CHI'94.
- Doctoral Consortium Chair, HCI'93, Loughborough, September 1993.
- Papers and short-papers review committees InterCHI'93, Amsterdam, April
- co-Organiser BCTCS-9 - the 9th British Colloquium for Theoretical Computer
Science, York, March 1993.
- Organiser and Chair, Joint IEE/DTI CSCW SIG meeting on "CSCW for mobile
and tele-workers", London, March 1993.
Alan's home page